The Bridge Street Fountain
The Old Police Station was constructed on the former site of the manorial mill, which was powered by a natural stream that crossed under Bridge Street towards the river. The fountain was built in front of the Old Police Station to take advantage of this natural stream, the Sprinch Well.
The fountain was gifted by the Earl and Countess of Ellesmere and erected in 1857. It remained the primary source of clean drinking water for the area until 1893 when Runcorn acquired the waterworks.
In 1948, the fountain was demolished for the widening and improvement of Bridge Street.
The First Town Hall in Runcorn
The Old Police Station on the junction of Mersey Road and Bridge Street was originally constructed to address the rising problems of drunkenness, vice and immorality in the township of Runcorn. The new municipal building included a courtroom for petty sessions and town business, living accommodation for the constable and seven cells in the basement for remand prisoners.
The building was completed at a cost of £450 in 1831 (not 1803 as shown in the photo.) The dual function building continued to be the headquarters for all municipal business until 1883 when the council moved its offices to Waterloo House.
The Old Police Station
Built in 1831 and added to in 1859 and 1897, The Old Police Station is one of 40 listed buildings in Runcorn and district (including Norton, Weston and Halton). The building was first listed as Grade II in 1983 for its special architectural and historic interest. Like many of the local historic buildings in the Runcorn area, The Old Police Station is constructed of local sandstone, red brick with a slate roof.
When it fell out of use as a police station, it was used as offices and storage for Halton Borough Council. Renovation of The Old Police Station started in 1996 when the years of industrial grime was removed from the sandstone façade and red brick.
The Old Police Station was re-opened by Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II in July 1998.
The Official Opening of The Old Police Station by Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II
31st July 1998
Inside The Old Police Station, Runcorn
The Judge’s changing room before renovation. Unfortunately the fireplace and cupboard could not be saved as they were riddled with woodworm!
In this photo:
Andy Freeney, Regional Director National Lotteries
Jan Evans, Project Manager Halton Community Partnership Trust
Harry Woodhall, Principal Executive Officer, Halton Borough Council
The basement police cells still hold much of their original character. Cells have now been converted into small offices with a kitchen facility.
The old Judge’s changing room is now a light and airy meeting room.
This meeting room can comfortably hold 15 people seated at tables or 25 without tables. Room hire charges include use of OHP, TV/video and flipchart. Wifi is available.
For information on Halton Community Partnership Trust room hire charges, click the photo.
One of the office kitchen facilities at The Old Police Station in Runcorn.